Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Where I'm From :: Poem

Where I’m From
by Tammi Salas

I am from the sound of an early morning alarm clock waking my father for work
I am from sugar cinnamon toast for breakfast and chocolate milk mustaches
I am from the astringent odor of Aqua-net hairspray keeping my tight pony tail firmly in place
I am from striped terrycloth shorts and matching tank tops

I am from a wood paneled living room, giant canopied bed and kidney-shaped pool
I am from the most well vacuumed house in the neighborhood
I am from tuna casserole and warm Spam sandwiches with tangy yellow mustard for dinner
I am from 1970’s Southern California suburbia

I am from a hardworking, blue collar man who, at age 12, was made an orphan
I am from a skinny, teenage girl who ran away from home to start anew
I am from secrets and whispers from behind closed doors at night
I am from a surprise to both of them

I am from hopscotch-covered asphalt cul-de-sacs and my mom’s piercing whistle calling us home for dinner
I am from Blue Bird troupes, drill teams and cheerleading squads  
I am from a short line of siblings that make me the eldest
I am from good grades and trips to the Little Red Schoolhouse for back-to-school supplies

I am from unstructured playtime, candy necklaces and record players
I am from bedroom walls that secured my most prized possessions - my albums, my typewriter, my Laura Ingalls-Wilder books and my writing desk with a secret compartment
I am from art-lined closets that housed my drawings, relegated there because they “don’t go” with anything else in the house

I am from Friday nights eating homemade popcorn and watching The Love Boat
I am from Saturday morning big breakfast rituals and manic “girls only” housecleaning chores 
I am from Sunday night baths and the sound of a stopwatch ticking indicating 60 Minutes was about to start

I am from a family that created itself from nothing
I am from a family that played house for over two decades
I am from a family that imploded just as I was navigating adulthood

I am from all of this and it serves me
I am from all of this and it haunts me

I am from nostalgia
I am from young love

I am from George & Donna Beth.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

This is beautiful, Tammi.
I like to think of us across the continent from each other, both of us watching Love Boat, eating popcorn.
My records and Laura Ingalls Wider books safe in my room too.
(i'm not going to ruin that with time zone technicalities).
Of course we were instant friends when we finally met.
xoxo


Willow Wolfe said...

I love it. It helps to look back so you can look forward too.

mommykelly said...

I think it's perfect. There are no wrong answers when baring your heart. Xo Chrissy

Annie said...

It's beautiful and I feel like I now know more about you because of it. Thank you. xo

Jen said...

Love it, thank you for sharing. You are amazing!
Love, Jen

Wendy said...

oh this is so beautiful Tammi, I am so glad to be touched by your creative spirit, keep going it's such a gift to those who bear witness, thank you. xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...