Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Happy Campers :: CYO & Bodega Bay


I've officially fallen into summer.  As soon as school gets out, I'm ambitious and still get up around 6:30 am and shuffle about the house doing my morning routine.  I make big plans, scribble to-do lists and sit down to write on my blog every single morning before the guys wake up.

And then life starts to get busy and I realize I want to be participating in it instead of documenting it and I'm okay with that, but that's why you see a string of posts and then...radio silence.  I'll catch you up on the last few weeks here in this gigantic summer-lovin' post.
Sheepy goes to camp
Growth chart on G's door jamb
Reunited Mother + Son 
G packed up for the overnight portion of CYO Camp.  I love that he brought this stuffed animal with him.  It may be the last year for this little sheep to travel and be seen.  G was really excited and just hollered "BYE, MOM!" and bounded down the steps towards his father, who was waiting in an idling car just outside our home.

And just like that, he's confident, independent and eager for an adventure.  It's what a parent hopes for and still I was a little emotional at how he just bolted out the door.  I busied myself during the day, we dined with friends that evening and when I woke up Friday morning...the house was still eerily quiet.  I couldn't wait to pick him up and hear all about his overnight fun.  I counted down the minutes until 4:15 pm.

When we arrived, he was utterly and thoroughly exhausted.  He barely spoke.  We quickly fed him pizza from the Union Hotel and shuttled him home for a nice, warm bath.  I washed his long, golden hair and he quietly told me about sleeping under the stars, how much fun he had swimming and what being a Waste Warrior entailed (eating all of your food, every day).

And, yes, another hand-carved redwood cross adorned his neck.  A gift from his amazing camp counselors.
Dr. Bob + G + Pineapple upside-down cake
Origami Dr. Bob
We helped celebrate Papa Bob's 72nd birthday.  G busted out this origami in his likeness and gifted it to him, along with a promise of a future lunch date.
Summer Fun
Summer has just been full of so many wonderful opportunities to learn.  And while reading has not been on the top of the boy's list this summer (remember last summer?  He read 110 books!), we have been playing new games, creating art, cooking and watching Arrested Development as a family (I know, I know, slightly inappropriate - but we love it!).
BHHA pool, golf + tennis camp 2013
Our dear friends let us use their home in Bodega Bay every July, so that Grady can attend the golf and tennis camps offered there.  We really settle in and I love being so close to the beach, old friends and within walking distance to the pool, bird sanctuary & Pacific Ocean.
Camp friends + fun
We got into a really good groove this year with golf camp first thing in the morning, a quick lunch together, tennis lessons and then we'd hang by the pool for an hour or two.  Every.  Single.  Day.
Pool time with dad + camp friends
We see the same kids almost every year and it's been fun to watch as they get older, more skilled at their sport and the ease at which they slip into play together.
Tennis Camp 10-12 year olds
Grady fell in love with tennis.  Every year he says it's his favorite part of camp.  He had the highest volley count at 108 and really wants to take more lessons.  
Arch Rock + Casa de Mahley
The week also afforded us time to quietly hang out as a family.  Bodega Bay is only seven miles away from Valley Ford, but we really try to sink into vacation during this week away from home.  
Happiest boy on the planet
As the week came to an end, the pull of home and obligations started to pile up.  I went for a 10 mile hike along the Sonoma Coast with a group of girlfriends.  Steve and Grady played tennis.  We had lunch in the clubhouse and said farewell to our Bodega Bay friends.

We slowly packed up, talked about all of the fun we had and drove the short jaunt home in silence.

We were ready to come home.

We were happy campers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...